Friday, April 11, 2008

Bringing a newbie into the fold...

I have begun the conversion of another knitter. That's right folks, I was converted and brought into the fold roughly two years ago, and it was about time that I brought my first convert over to the dark side.

The convert in question is a very dear and sweet friend of mine from work. He has long heard me blather on and on about the joys of knitting and fondling yarn. So, this past Wednesday, he finally agreed to meet me at my LYS and I sat him down around the knitting table with two balls of Berroco Comfort in the most shocking color of green (it is SO his color, too) and a set of Bamboo needles in 9.

Sue, the knitting wizard at The Woolie Ewe, had him start with a Long Tail Cast-on. He took to it like a duck to water. It was so awesome to watch him sit there, so focused, cast on each and every one of those stitches. I started to notice the odd silence from the direction of his chair, so I turned and there he is, 5 or 6 rows of garter into his first scarf. I felt like a new mom, just overcome with joy that he was actually having FUN and had a big smile on his face!!! THIS ROCKS!!!!

There have been a few hiccups along the way, there was some unraveling, a few dropped stitches, frogging of the entire project and a new cast-on this morning. But, all in all, things seemed to be a success so far. I was a little worried at the frogging point...I had this fear that he was gonna text message me that he really didn't like the idea of knitting and was gonna just drop the idea entirely....but NOPE, he asked me to help him out and he was gonna give it another go....YOU GO BOY!!! KNIT ON!!!

I'm so happy for him...I just can't express how much it makes me smile. There is some serious knitting love in me today...even though I can't bring myself to work on any projects today. I opted to bring a book with me instead.

No comments: