Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Progress, I say....Yes, progress....

Ok....so, I got at least 4 more repeats done on the fan & feather shawl/wrap last night, while sitting home watching the boob tube. I tried to start the ribbing on the knee-high, but due to the fact that I knit weird, the ribbing was not working out correctly.

I have since gone to my favorite website for help with the icky dilemma, knittinghelp.com!!! I think every knitter should have this website bookmarked and easily accessible at any given time. I have always known that I knit a bit different that others, and from Lara's educated guess, I have watched her knit enough, that I picked up combination knitting without even realizing it. Good grief, as if I don't do enough things differently already, now add knitting to the mix.

Well, luckily knittinghelp has videos on this very dilemma. The conundrum is that when I "knit" in the round, everything works out fine. When I "knit and purl" flat pieces, that too works out without any problems. The problem started when I tried knitting "ribs" in the round. For some reason I wasn't wrapping the yarn correctly so, half of my stitches were becoming twisted. Not a total tragedy in my opinion, since I liked the way it looked and made the ribs a bit more snug (a good thing, in IMHO).

The catch with all this mess, is that I am starting on the ribbing for my knee-high socks, and I really want these bad boys to be PERFECT!!!! I am still on the fence as to whether I should do 1x1 ribbing or 2x2 ribbing.

So....I started the ribbing last night (I am VERY thankful that I put a lifeline in before I started) when I was sitting at the Woolie Ewe, after the second round I knew there was something slightly amiss. I stopped work on them as soon as I noticed there was a problem, so tonight when I go to knit night, I am going to have to rip out what I started (yet again, thanking my life line) and start again, but this time keeping in mind what I learned on the website about how to wrap the yarn on the purl stitches....WOOO HOOO...I'm not a FREAK!!! YAY!!! Cheers all around....

Now back to your normally scheduled programming....

1 comment:

Miss Knotty said...

what about an Everlasting Bagstopper? It's one of those mesh bag thingies - it was in last summer's Knitty - it might be a way great way to have a bag and showcase the color - bonus, it's kind of lacy, so you get to practice without even meaning to! :)

Miss K.
P.S. I'll call you cupcake anyway - :P